Financial Support and Advice

Please contact the listed services directly for any queries about eligibility.

If any of the information listed here is incorrect, please contact us and we will update as soon as possible.

The Advice Shop: Tel 0131 200 2360 anytime Mon-Fri and leave a message. A return call will be made within 2 hours or email

Best Start: To find out the support you may be eligible for visit or call 0800 182 2222

  • Best Start Grant School Age Payment: £250 help for eligible families with the cost of starting school. For children born between 1 March 2015 and 29 Feb 2016 apply between 1 June and 28 Feb 2021(even if deferring entry)
  • Early Learning Payment: £250 help for eligible families with a child between 2 and 3½ years
  • Pregnancy and Baby Payment: £600 for first child or £300 help for eligible families with cost of pregnancy or having a new child
  • Food Payment: £17 every four weeks for eligible families during pregnancy and for every child under three to spend on healthy foods.

Citizens Advice Edinburgh: Online advice and support at or Tel 0131 510 5510

CHAI (Community Help and Advice Initiative): is currently offering a telephone consultation service. To book a phone appointment call 0131 442 2100 or email

Changeworks: Fuel billing and debt support for households contact
Contact Aidan Tracey 0131 539 8640,,

Family and Household Support: can offer support and advice with family relationships, parenting, mental health and well-being, employment and learning, housing options and neighbour disputes. Help with accessing food banks, debt, budgeting, welfare benefits, applying for grants, funding or furniture. Contact:

Float Trust: Small grants to help with essential costs for people in need, who have been refused a Crisis Grant. Bus tickets can be provided to organisations to help clients access essential services such as attending appointments, interviews, attending support groups. Referral should be made by a professional.

Home Energy Scotland: Free and impartial advice for anyone worried about energy bills. We recognise that home heating and energy use will be affected by people staying home to avoid picking up the Coronavirus. If you’re worried about your energy bills or struggling to stay warm at home, call us. We’re briefing our advisors with the latest information from energy suppliers and from the Scottish Government, and we’ll stay up to date with any new developments. Our advice is free, impartial and funded by the Scottish Government.
Phone 0808 808 2282 to chat to a friendly advisor – calls are free and we’re available Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday from 9am to 5pm. Or request a call back on our website:

Maximise: Families who have a child who attends school at WHEC, Clovenstone, Canal View, Sighthill primaries can receive free welfare and benefit advice or family support. 0131 442 2100 or 0131 446 2300

OPFS Emergency Energy Fund: Support to single parents who are under intense financial pressure due to the coronavirus crisis. Sponsoring agencies can apply for a one-off payment of £50 for single parent families who need help with their energy bills (e.g. gas/electricity). Applications may take up to 28 working days. To become a sponsoring agent who can apply for families, contact 0131 556 3899 or email

People Know How: Computer Delivery project to provide refurbished computers and devices to those who need help staying connected in Edinburgh. Those who are self-isolating, home-schooling, on low income or would benefit for any other reason are eligible to apply. For more information please email

SCORE Scotland: For the families severely affected financially by the COVID-19 pandemic, we will support you through the process of applying for emergency crisis/community grants. The Scottish government has increased the Welfare fund to provide financial assistance to those most in need. Contact or text 07504 826 683

Turn2us Edinburgh Trust Response Fund Relating to COVID-19:
People who have lost their income as a result of the Coronavirus and are struggling financially may be eligible for a one-off crisis grant towards essential living expenses. For more information on eligibility and how to apply visit