Foodbanks are able to provide emergency food for anyone in crisis, who cannot afford food. A referral and a foodbank voucher are needed from a support worker or GP surgery. Anyone struggling to access a Foodbank referral can contact The Scottish Welfare Fund, who will check if you are eligible for a crisis grants within 24hours or issue a foodbank voucher. Tel: 0131 529 5299 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Applicants should highlight if they are in social isolation or shielding.
Helplines for vulnerable and high-risk people during COVID-19
If you do not have support from family, friends or community organisations and are in need of food or medicine delivery please contact City of Edinburgh Council 0131 200 2306 Mon-Thu 8.30am-5pm, Fri 8.30-3.40pm or email email@example.com or
contact the Scottish Government 0800 111 4000 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm.
For more information on accessing a Foodbank contact The Foodbank on 0131 444 0030 or Social Care Direct on 0131 200 2324 / Out of Hours 0800 731 6969.
For up to date information on the Foodbanks currently operating call 0131 444 0030 or visit https://www.trusselltrust.org/get-help/find-a-foodbank/
Go Beyond South West in partnership with Mapme has created a map showing ongoing food provision in South West Edinburgh. Please contact organisations directly, they include:
- Broomhouse Hub: offering hot, chilled, ready meals, and food parcels for pick up or delivery. This is either on a voucher system distributed to the families of children on free school meals or by referral from social workers, GPs, or other agencies. Referral forms can be obtained from Chrysa at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Community One Stop Shop: self-referral foodbank Mon-Thurs 10am-3pm, Fri 10am-12pm
- The Dove Centre: Providing meal deliveries and essentials shopping for older people in Wester Hailes on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Their answering machine will pick up calls on Wednesdays and their office is staffed on Fridays. Contact 0131 453 4656 or via their website.
- Destiny Angels (part of Destiny Church): Run by volunteers-Befriending phone calls, emergency food parcels and home-made meal doorstep deliveries. Email email@example.com for more info.
- Edible Estates: offering to deliver food parcels – email to contact: Stacey@thehealthagency.org.uk or firstname.lastname@example.org
- LOVE Gorgie Farm: food bank can be accessed by emailing email@example.com or messaging them on social media.
- Oxgangs Community Church: offers food shopping and collecting of prescriptions. Have some funds for essential/emergency food provision. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Salvation Army Gorgie: foodbank open on Mon/Wed/Fri from 1-3pm
- SCORE Community Fridge: is providing home deliveries and will only be delivering to those who need emergency food. For more information contact the office on 0131 442 2341.
- St Salvador’s Church: self-referral foodbank every Wednesday from 12-1.30pm
- Stenhouse Primary: free packed lunches every weekday outside Stenhouse Baptist Church (1.30-2.30pm).
- Tynecastle High School: During school holidays Tynecastle High School foodbank will be open for drop in collection on a Thursday (9am-2pm) from Thursday 24 June until Thursday 6 August, at the BMC club on Gorgie Road next to Sainsbury’s. Referrals and self-referrals can be made on 07948410136. If you need help outwith these times please send a message to the BMC Club via Facebook.
- WHALE Arts Agency: Providing a community meal – served as hot food take away at WHALE Arts Centre, 30 Westburn Grove, Edinburgh EH14 2SA. 1-2pm on Friday. Social distancing queuing in place. All are welcome to come and pick up a meal.
- The Digital Sentinel the community news site for Wester Hailes – weekly updates on local provision.
If any of the information listed here is incorrect, please contact us and we will update as soon as possible.