Meeting Minutes Mon 9th April 2018

PRESENT

Rona Brown { Chair GDCC} {RB}

Jim Hogg {Treasure GDCC }{JH}

Graeme Russell {GDCC}{GR}

Jim Park {GDCC}{JP}

Arron Peters {GDCC}{AP}

Angela Astor {GDCC}{AA}

Sharon Walker{GDCC}{SW}

Eilidh Troup {GDCC}{ET}

Laura Baird {GDCC FOWCP}{LB}

Marie Stein {TCVO Caledonian Village}{MSt}

Joan Gordon {Local Resident}{JG}

Michael Mc Mullin {GDS Church}{MM}

PC J. Baillie { Police Scotland}

Cllr Denis Dixon {CEC}{DD}

Cllr A Grocyke{CEC}{AG}

REPRESENTATIVES

SCOTMID   Sandy Watt

MANSON ROSS Architects

Lindsay Manson

Lisa Ferguson

Ross Manson  {ross.manson@mansonplanning.co.uk}

Alastair Cook – Structured House Group

 

WELCOME

The chair welcomed everyone asked that they introduce themselves as there were representatives from organisations who were going to do a presentations on proposals they had for developments in the area.

The reps were from Scotmid, Manson & Ross architects a planning development company, also Structured House Group. All involved with the proposed Store Refresh and Student Accommodation they hope to carry out at 136 Gorgie Road.

Also attending was Laura Reid from Enterprise Car Club, which has taken over from the City Car Club, to promote and explain how they work.

Chair advised that the presentations would be done first then the CC meeting would go ahead as usual.

 

APOLOGIES

Cllr Donald Wilson CEC (DW)

Adrian Herbert  (GDS Church}{AH}

Nancy McDonald (Garvald] {NM

Martin Salkeld  {GDCC} {MS}

Cllr C Fullerton  {CEC} {CF}

Joanna Cherry {MP}{JC}

 

PRESENTATION

SCOTMID Refresh

Alistair Ross handed out a booklet with detail which showed sketches, floorplans, explanations and layout of the proposal and also gave a rough outline of and history of the company Structured House Group which is a fairly new company but is growing continually. They build own and operate the premises with an experienced management team. Previously have had 16 developments in UK working with 30 staff. They are long-term investors and operators.

The Scotmid store would be closed for 9 mths during the work period. Scotmid has always been community orientated with donations, grants to charities and community groups of up to £500 in store or online. The new initiative Community Connect makes £15,000 available to good causes in the area. There would be no local Post Office facilities in the area while the store is closed. It is up to the Post Office to deal with this problem as they use Scotmid as a base but are independent of Scotmid. This still has to be resolved it was pointed out that there are few banks in the area and many of the locals depend on this service and will find great difficulty. Mr Watt said they were aware of this and had listed the nearest PO’s in the area.

It is proposed that when the store reopens there will be new branding, new frontage, ‘grab and go’ set up, and the Post Office will reopen. It will be a new energy efficient store.

There will be Student Accommodation above: 150bedrooms, study areas, dedicated amenity space, 100% cycle storage, zero car policy, secure managed reception, 5% of the rooms universally accessible .

This build is between 2 tenements so will be the same height. The problem of daylight and sunlight access may require some changes to the proposal. The student population in Gorgie Dalry Stenhouse is 10.9% at present this will rise to 11.4% – well below the level permitted. If at any time the rooms are not in use by students although the tenancy lease will be for 51 weeks per year, it can be be altered to accommodate other lets.

BREEAM will be involved (sustainability assessment) and Police Scotland will be contacted for advice.

Local resident Joan Gordon pointed out that only a few nearby residents had been informed of these plans for the area many were still totally unaware could this be rectified ASAP as the build will impact on some properties. This was agreed.

Chair thanked Alistair for attending and the presentation and stated it is hoped to keep in touch and will also forward any questions that may arise now that the proposals have been shown and locals become more aware of the changes to their local shop

ENTERPRISE CAR CLUB

Laura Reid explained that the company had taken over from the City Car Club with a fleet of 130 cars 20 vans and 6 branches in Edinburgh. They use 2% of free parking and clients can park free in the city. The costs are a flat yearly rate of £20 for 2 member from the same address, 15p per mile for short travel, from £4.50/hour or £25/day. Vans are diesel, costs – £30 per day. It is asked that users refill the petrol tank to a certain amount for the next user. There are 6k members. Leaflets are available and the plan is to promote and increase usage.

Laura was thanked for the information she gave and left leaflets with further details .

POLICE REPORT for March

Increase in housebreakings 10,  detected 1; assaults 18, detected 7. Increase in bike thefts 26, detection is poor due to various difficulties e.g. sold on quickly. One hate crime, vandalism 11. Recent knife assault in a shop resolved. Drug problem seems to have reduced. “Bike Station” for abandoned bikes.

PC Baillie thanked for his report.

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING 5th March 2018

Proposed SW and LB

Amend apologies from DD

 

TREASURE’S REPORT

Donation to St Brides £100 for International Women’s Day 11th March.

Balance £1245.22. Accounts are now with the auditor.

 

CORRESPONDANCE

DW and Cllr Cammy Day completed the London marathon. DW will donate a defibrillator to St Brides and the remainder of his fundraising will go to 1stCity Fund.  Well done to both!

David Hunter – signage Viewforth to Haymarket, will do a presentation as funding is still required. E-mail will let him know GDCC supports this.

Council consultation re school crossings ET will respond.

Locality Committee DW writing brief 2 CC.

DD no date when they will convene with Culture Community Committee.

JP commented querying accuracy of a report in local papers stating no input to the locality committee from public only councillors. Informed this was not accurate. There is no attempt to undermine the work or power of the CCs as this is a legal requirement.  Councillors will represent the locals and pass on their opinion, but deputations of the local CC to speak or petition is ok. GR commented that remit is possibly quite broad.

Crime Neighbourhood Partnership will scrutinise local improvement plan with police fire brigade and locals.

4 strands:  Neighbourhood Partnerships will continue til consultation for community input. No local reps from community – only councillors input.  Mike Avery is Locality Manager Cllrs will be required to attend CC s for opinions.  Walkabouts may return.  City ward for CCs maybe reduced as some areas have a large numbers 44 in the city 32 in South West so making it very difficult to gather information for the meetings.

 

COUNCILLORS REPORTS

AG has been dealing with the problem of delivery cars for Domino pizza continuing to cause problems double parking and blocking streets spoken to company managers emailed awaiting reply but will continue to follow this up. Photos and dates are all noted, management aware.

AG graffiti, etc – no reply yet constant complaints.   Possibility of repainting speed bumps and bus stops.

DD Wardlaw Terrace problems – property Link PSL on going.

 

PARKS

nil new

 

PLANNING

Developing of Springwell House cottage & toilets Ardmillan Terr/Gorgie Rd proposal to develop by AMA building company 48 flats: 39 being in the listed building; 8-9 town houses to the back of the cottage.  The developer has been invited to next meeting of the CC and are keen to attend if possible.

HMOs nil.

LICENCE:  New business in Barnardos

Robertsons public house – building work going on, new business.

 

EVENTS

RB St Brides AGM 23RD April 7pm

St Brides table sale 16th April   Community event £5 per table

St Brides watch this space for launch of Friday film night Social Performance community free, once per month, possibly by donations also intended to have open nights with the café being open and exhibitions

Health All Round, SMRC, Dalry Rd  26th April, 10-2pm

 

MM   GDS Church G in THE PARK steering group meeting set up 3rd May for event on 23rd June 11am-4pm

Garvald 10th May

Westfield Park    Clean Up  12th May, 10-1pm, Keep Scotland Beautiful

 

AOCB

AG is involved trying to set up a Gorgie City Farm Market, etc – no dates at present.

More buckets required for the Community park.

 

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

14th May 2018  at 7pm GDS Church Gorgie Rd


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s