GDCC Meeting Minutes, Mon 2nd Oct 2017

WELCOME

Chair welcomed everyone and stated that the speaker on the proposed development of student accommodation in Russell Road would be first on the agenda.  Edinburgh Lions International were also present to talk about the Christmas lights switch on would then clarify their plans to work with GDCC.

 

Aaron Napier, the developer, came to the community council earlier in the year asking for support with his proposal to the planning department to develop a site in Russell Road for student accommodation. Aaron explained that the initial proposal had been refused by the planning department for a few minor reasons which could possibly have been overcome. It was decided by the developers, rather than submit the plans again, to submit a larger proposal for the 17 acre site. It would still have student accommodation but also housing. A new case officer for the council is now involved. Aaron also hopes for the continued support of GDCC; there will also be consultation with the police.  The council request CCTV in the area, this would benefit the immediate area and the cycle path especially, as would an improvement to the lighting in the surrounding area Murieston park. This would all be beneficial to the local area. The intention is to provide bikes and some electric cars for the students use.

The draft designs were shown to CC, with more consultation still to be made with council rep and other local groups.

It was agreed that GDCC supported the proposal but would like to be kept informed of the development plans as they progress and may well be in contact in the future as the project proceeds.   It is hoped to have the project ongoing, if not finished in approx. 18 months.  Aaron was thanked and he stated that he would be willing to return at any point to update GDCC on the progress or any changes he may be required to make.

 

XMAS LIGHTS

CITY OF EDINBURGH LIONS INERNATIONAL Norm and Susan have attended to let us know that they have their helpers ready to be there on the night. In previous years this group has been good enough to help with the switch on of the Christmas lights.  They supply the presents that are given to the children and assist with stewarding the event.  Date was confirmed 3rd December we are awaiting confirmation from CEC regarding the licence application. We have been told by council officials that the lights and tree will be provided but we have to access our own sound system and stage for the event. We will try to access this equipment ourselves. The sleigh has been requested awaiting a reply. Once again thanks to this group for all their help we will keep them updated as frequently as possible. They have contact details for GDCC also.

 

PRESENT

Aaron Napier [Developer of proposed Russell Road development]

Norm Campbell and  Susan Whiteford [City of Edinburgh Lions International]

PC J Baillie  [JB Police Scotland]

Adrian Herbert  [AH  GDS Church]

Michael McMullin  [MM  GDS Church]

Rona Brown [RB  Chair GDCC]

Angela Astor [AA GDCC]

Eilidh Troup  [ET  GDCC]

Laura Baird [LB  GDCC Friends of Westfield Court Park]

Martin Salkeld  [MS  GDCC ]

Jim Park  [JP  GDCC]

Sharon Walker  [SW  GDCC]

Jim Hogg  [JH   Treasurer GDCC ]

Marie Stein  [Caledonian Village Owners]

 

APOLOGIES

Sonia Squires St Martins Church,

Cllr Cathy Fullerton CEC.

Cllr Donald Wilson  CEC

Nancy McDonald  Garvald

Graeme Russell  GDCC

 

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING 4th September 2017

Name correction for Michael McMullin and Jim Park

Proposed MS and AH

 

CORRESPONDANCE

Craig Dunlop CEC  contacted re Friends of Westfield Court Park

Jonathan Tink  Hearts football Club contacted about the mural proposed for the gable end of the tenement in McLeod St, at the entrance to the Hearts stadium

Angus Graham re McDonalds clean up planned date 8th October

LB will contact bowling club for tables, etc.

 

TREASURER

Lets paid £90     I.T. fee £55.30

Grant receive £922.94  = Balance  £1720.49

Dale still to request amount required for let he has now use of 2 halls MM informed us the first class is due to start on the 31st October.

DD commented Community fund might aid Christmas lights

 

REPORTS

POLICE  PC Bailllie updated  info for this month (papers available):  3 house breakings and 7 assaults. Road safety is an ongoing priority.

Bike thefts are still high: 22, people advised to mark details and register; no hate crimes; phone calls are down. Drug seizures are up.

 

CEC CLLRS REPORT

DD reported that Alan Carson has taken over from Helen Harrison as Chief Inspector Commander he is keen to continue as previous Chief Inspector

RB mentioned the continued problem with double parking and blocking access to venues by Domino pizza delivery drivers.

MS said parking in Caledonian Village was an ongoing concern with some people parking dangerously and blocking access

GDCC will email Parking attendants to seek information/assistance at Easter Dalry Place and Rigg.

Area has been busy St Brides –  work ongoing to update.  Cllr Dixon has been chasing up outstanding maintenance issues in St Brides.

Tynecastle High School DD was at a tribute to Wilfred Owen who was a pupil at THS.

South West locality work in progress to encourage closer co-operation with the local community DD will update as able.

LB mentioned bins in Westfield Rd over flowing.  DD asked if intercoms had been repaired as this was mentioned months ago, LB said no work had been done to sort the problem as many flats are owned, so difficulty in getting agreement for repairs. DD said this should not a problem.

M Stein mentioned graffiti on sub station – some of it is offensive.

M Salkeld raised the matter of Westfield Rd, where parking is causing a problem for buses and larger vehicles trying to pass they especially at the traffic islands.

Possibility of painting new lines involving transport and environmental departments.

Public Toilets: Hearts have said they will try and help with this problem, match days are particularly bad.

GDCC will update Tynecastle Gorgie area toilets.

M Salkeld may attend to update for November meeting on new stand, etc.

 

PLANNING

HMOs  TROs   Licencing  NIL

 

SWNP N0 contact  Mike Avery

FWCP     LB   Craig Dunlop hopes to plant trees in the autumn, bulbs and grass cut later – area much improved.

There is a group called FRIENDS OF MURIESTON PARK.  Craig Dunlop is involved with them we will invite them to GDCC

 

 

CHRISTMAS LIGHTS

Best Dressed Window presentation at the Switch on: leaflets and info will be available asap in November.

Choir from Dalry School will be asked to perform.

M Salkeld will contact schools THS and Dalry to see if pupils could design a poster for these events. The winners would then be asked to do the xmas light switch on.

LB will check out Gorgie end re lights and posters

Approach Aldi,  Sainsburys,  Scotmid,  McDonalds,  Hearts

Public Safety is priority Officer Julianne Neil re new lights.

 

AOCB

Litter pick McDonalds 8th October, Aldi car park 10am – 4pm

Entertainer for Xmas light switch on, sound system, program, choir carol singing, community singing.

AH may have a gazebo Contact with Destiny church

Farm for use of café after ceremony and access to power for sound and stage lights.

NM may also have a gazebo.

 

DONM

6th November 7pm,  GDS Church Gorgie Road.

 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s